I love my Vitamix Yellow Pepper Soup
To honor the arrival of the newest member of my family, a red Vitamix named Amazon Cherry, I thought I would post a wonderful reciepe for you all. First I just wanted to say that buying a Vitamix was the best thing I have done since I started down the path to Vegan. I know they are expensive, but no one blinks twice when you buy a $350 grill! I have used it everyday, multiple times a day to make everything from smoothies to soup to salad dressing. It is AWESOME, so if you are vegan, or trying to be, I recommend you have a garage sale (I sold things on ebay) or beg your mom for your birthday to get you one of these awesome machines. I got mine from QVC because they let you make payments. You can check it out here QVC VITAMIX.
Yellow Bell Pepper Soup
According to cronometer, this recipe is about 150-200 calories. I ate the entire recipe by myself in two sittings, but there is more than enough to share!
2 Yellow Bell Peppers
1 clove garlic
1 TBSP tomato paste
2 c. vegetable stock
1/2 c. almond milk (or coconut milk, or soy milk, you choose)
1/4 c. cilantro
1/2 ear of corn
1 TBSP corn starch
- Turn on the good ol’ broiler. Slice the peppers in half and let them sit under the broiler until the skin starts to blister and turn black (tip: let them get good and black and blistery. It really makes the skin removal process easier). Take them out of the oven and put them in a paper bag or air tight container right away, and let them sit for a few minutes. (for me this process took some practice, so don’t fret if you don’t get it right the first time). Then peel the skin off.
- At the same time, rough chop the 1/4 onion and 1 clove of garlic. Saute on medium heat until translucent. I don’t add any oils or anything and they work just fine.
- Put the onions, peppers, garlic, tomato paste, and stock in the blender. Blend on high for 2 minutes. Add the milk and corn starch. Blend on high for an additional 2 minutes. (The great thing about the Vitamix is it heats up the soup!) If you are not using a Vitamix or other high powered blender, blend the items until creamy, put in a sauce pan and simmer until warm.
- Finally, chop up the cilantro and remove the corn from the cob. Garnish your soup. (I call it garnish, but you really need it to be super yummy. I even add more corn sometimes.
- Ta Da! Enjoy. It looks a little frothy because the Vitamix churns it up.