Today I made a video on these tempeh burgers, so check it out on my youtube channel: www.youtube.com/heatherwellman
So, why Tempeh Burgers? I have probably tried a hundred vegan burgers. To me, being vegan and helping my family stay vegan is the most important thing. They get cravings for hamburgers, and I want them to crave a veggie burger instead. But up until I made these tempeh burgers, nothing quite hit the spot and gave them the umami flavor they were craving.
Umami is basically the savory taste like we taste sweet and sour. We also taste savory. So, I make these burgers every once in a while to help them abate the cravings. Now I have a large family so this makes a lot of burgers. If you have a smaller family then, you can halve the recipe.
2 Packages of Tempeh
1 c. of bread crumbs (I make my own by toasting whole wheat bread and then crumbling them to bread crumbs in the vitamix)
2/3 c. vital wheat gluten (you can get this at your health food store or online at Amazon.com)
2 tsp. fennel seed
2 tsp. rubbed sage
2 tsp. dried thyme
2 tsp. dried oregano
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. onion powder
2 TBSP. soy sauce
2TBSP. Steak Sauce (vegan variety such as A-1)
6-8 dashes of liquid smoke
4-6 TBSP water
1. Grate the tempeh (or chop into very small pieces). If you find the tempeh tastes bitter, you can steam it for 15 minutes before you grate it.
2. Add all the ingredients to the tempeh and mix together thoroughly. I use my hands to mix it until it gets to a squishy consistency that holds together.
3. Form into thin, palm sized burgers.
4. Spray the pan with a light coating of PAM or other cooking spray. I mean light. Cook on each side for about 5 minutes or until brown.
5. Pile on a bun with all the trimmings 🙂